|The Mouth That Punishes: A Necon 27 Report
||[Jul. 25th, 2007|11:07 am]
International Bon Vivant and Raconteur
You know you've got an LJ addiction when you get all antsy because it's already Wednesday and you haven't posted your Necon report yet!
Necon reaffirmed its place as my top-of-the-heap annual conference this year. I won't try to name check everyone who helped make it so special -- really, it's all 200 campers who do that -- but I do want to say thanks to Craig, Chris, the Booths and everyone else who had a hand in planning, coordinating and running Necon. I've been attending for 8 years now -- which is remarkable when I think about it -- and have no problem with the idea of 8 more.
What happens at Necon generally stays at Necon, but here are some of my more harmless highlights from this year's gathering:
* drinking on the quad until 5 AM with Brian Keene and the gang on the very first night
* the next day, bitterly hung over, coming up with what should be Necon's new slogan: Necon: At Night We Celebrate Life, In the Morning We Pray for Death
* warning Brian he will not keep me up that late again
* staying up late drinking with Brian and the gang the next night too, the bastards
* coming up with a new YA horror series with leethomas, Stefan Petrucha and Kelli Jones called Tales of Mild Annoyance ("He came to her party and he wasn't even invited...MILD ANNOYANCE!")
* the dealer's room selling out of General Slocum's Gold by Friday night -- talk about an ego boost!
* finally meeting Kathy Ptacek and learning how to pronounce her last name (puh-TAH-sick)
* being able to sleep in on Saturday for the first Necon in years!
* even though I've been going to Necon for 8 years, this is the first year I played in the annual softball game. I'd like to think I helped Tom Monteleone's team finally win, but really, I sucked. I knew I'd be rusty and bad, but I didn't think I'd suck quite as much as I did. I was off to a good start with a nice hit -- which flew directly into westonochse's glove. Seriously, he didn't even have to move. It was all downhill from there.
* if it weren't for sarahlangan, Matt Schwartz, strange and leethomas sitting near me and keeping me entertained during the excruciating game show, I would have lost it. Thanks!
* the roast of Jim Moore - spectacular!
* Lisa Manetti's tarot reading -- I don't believe in that stuff, not really, but the reading turned out to be spot on
* hearing westonochse doesn't like HBO's The Wire, the best series on TV, and asking him if it's because the show doesn't have enough vampire outlaws from space in it
* best of all, of course, was seeing all the people I don't get to see very often anymore, especially former Who Wants Cake members leethomas and Stefan Petrucha!
I'm sure there's plenty more I'm leaving out, but I've still got con brain, so you'll have to excuse me. Or remind me.
Thank you, Necon 27! You take years off my life every time I go, but you're totally worth it.